Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I finished a book!

It's the first book I've finished since the Big D six months ago. I feel like it's a turning point. Just last week I had a thought that the Ex and I were not good for each other. That was it! No flames of anger. No stars of frustration. No black clouds of misery. I digress. Since I've finished this you know what that means: BOOK REVIEW.

Lorrie Moore (obviously not a first time author since her name comes before the book title) is one of the greatest writers ever. She loves her job and it shows. This woman massages language, i.e. "When misfortune accumulated, I could feel now, it strafed you to the thinness of a nightgown, sheared you to the sheerness of a slip." She's a word acrobat. I imagine her at her computer spending hours staring into a cold cup of coffee searching for the right metaphor. She's also quirky and uses lots of exclamation points! What she isn't is a great story teller but the rest is so good, the lack of a driving story doesn't matter to me. This novel was a joy to read -- I should know since I've been reading it, sporadically, since September during one of the darkest times of my life and still managed to be delighted.

Because I'm so hopefully optimistic and always seeking, I picked up a new book at the library instead of finishing one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment