Thursday, January 14, 2010

DVD review: Dogville

I have, apparently, an affinity for all things Danish, not just their design sense but their sensibilities, too. They seem, as a nation -- crass generalization alert! -- to have a cynical, dark sense of humor. A bonafide Danish friend also told me they have one of the world's highest rates for alcoholism and happiness but also suicide. It's not hard to relate these, eh? My point: I have a love/hate relationship with the Danish director Lars Von Trier. His films make me uncomfortable and yet I can't turn away -- like gawking at a terrific car accident. I remember Breaking the Waves as being vaguely upsetting and exciting and Dancer in the Dark was one of those films that I had to dream a new ending for the night after seeing it. I watched Dogville last night. At first I didn't think I'd be able to sit through the whole thing because of the lack of sets. It's staged as if for theater. The whole film takes place on a sound stage with chalk outlines and wood skeletons for buildings. The actors open pretend doors. One of the things I most love about films is the sets and the dressing -- I'm all about those details. However, I was shocked and amazed to notice that I stopped noticing the lack of this about 30 minutes into the film because I became so engrossed in the characters in that stomach-clenching way. What a statement about provincial, small-town Americans, nee Coloradans. This is not a light romp and I wouldn't watch it if I were feeling suicidal or homicidal but I do recommend seeing it, preferably in the middle of your cycle and after you've lost a few pounds and are happy in your marriage and secure in your job and your roof isn't leaking and your neighbors have all their teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment