Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Discoveries at the discovery shop.

This has been a terrible week -- ping-ponging around the grief cycle from sadness to anger to acceptance to sadness. I've had a few snotty cries in the car. I tried some retail therapy yesterday and hit a few thrift stores looking for a mirror for Big Gun's new place. I'm kind of a snob re: buying clothes at thrift stores. Furniture? Yes. But stuff that's been on other people's bodies? Ew. At the Discovery Shop in Menlo Park I walked past a rack of really cute stuff with the tags still attached from an expensive boutique up the street. For instance, a baby blue, butter-soft Escada leather jacket, a Betsey Johnson suit, Nanette Lepore tops, etc. Most were my size. Here's what I bought.

This Nicole Farhi dress (got home and realized it's linen, which I hate but it's so cute, very Audrey Hepburn, full skirt, cinched waist):


This Mexx sweater:


And the piece de resistance -- these really cute flats:

The damage? $90. I think I paid too much for the dress ($50) especially since it's linen. The sweater was $20 and the shoes $15. Inspired, from there I headed to Afterwards which is a consignment shop where women sell their Chanel and Dolce Gabbana from last season, but after the thrift store the prices seemed too dear for this cheap skate. I'm working my way down the retail chain from Forever 21 to Goodwill but up the environmental chain since I'm keeping this stuff out of landfill, right?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome finds--I can't believe they still had the tags on them. xoxo

    ReplyDelete