Saturday, December 18, 2010

Why shopping malls are full of addicts.

I had one of those moments yesterday. I spent the afternoon at Mario's school's winter celebration and ex, like he does every year, begged off for work reasons. (For the record, he's a mid-level manager at a software company; not, you know, Obama.)
That evening, Mario has ex on speaker phone as ex is supposedly commuting home from work, but I hear his girlfriend in the car. Mario says they commute together. It doesn't matter. My head begins to inflate like a balloon with anger and jealousy, my two go-to emotions.
This morning, these emotions are still with me and as I was "flipping" through Psych Central, my favorite psychology blog, I clicked on this link addressing a man's desire to rid himself of his anger and jealousy toward his estranged wife.
I ended up relating more to this guy's scandalous wife, who deceived and lied to her trusting husband for years. That was me. I was incapable of being honest that things were not OK in paradise; I didn't want to risk dealing with ex's sadness or anger when I told him I wasn't happy and had started thinking about other men. I deceived my trusting husband.
I no longer felt anger and jealousy; now I had a head full of shame and guilt. This did not feel like progress. What does the addict do with all these feelings swirling in her stinking thinking head? This addict notices a photograph of a woman in the newspaper wearing a frilly scarf and thinks to herself: Oooh, I think a new scarf would make me feel right as rain.

1 comment:

  1. i think the worst part is we don't trust ourselves enough to express our true feelings.

    ReplyDelete