Monday, October 11, 2010

DVD review: The Killers

First of all, I do not like Katherine Heigl as an actress. (I don't know her personally but I do think that, given the roles she chooses to play I probably wouldn't like her as a person either.) I saw this movie to keep peace between me, Mario, and Big Guns -- it was the only thing we could agree on. Like most politics, it was a least common denominator choice.
Ashton Kutcher plays a hit man who keeps his career a secret from Katherine, his cautious, conservative love interest. It's the old opposites attract/sparks fly plot. So what happens is she finds out about his line of work and sparks fly. There's a little plot twist that I won't spoil for you in case you need to see it. A still-fine Tom Selleck plays Katherine's dad and, here's why I'm even writing this review, Catherine O'Hara plays her mother, who is obviously an alcoholic and plays it for laughs, dumping half a quart of vodka into a pitcher of tomato juice while breakfasting with Tom and chatting with her daughter on the phone then picking up the pitcher and drinking it. Ha ha. It's a dysfunctional family in extreme; no one seems to even notice her problem or even asks her to leave them some Vodka. It's hard to imagine this happening if she'd been walking around covered in open sores or riddled with cancer. I'm ashamed to admit that I laughed at her a few times but it was really off putting and strange.
There was The Ugly Truth, now this. That's two strikes against you, Katherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment