Saturday, May 22, 2010

I do not eat out anymore.

When I was the drinking half of a nuclear family, eating out at restaurants was a regularly scheduled event. Not every 6-month-tooth-cleaning regular, but twice-a-week regular. What does that cost? Something like $1000 a month? That's a lot of new underwear. 

I've eaten out maybe ten times since I separated eight months ago. (It helps that Big Guns, former bodybuilder, still doesn't eat like a normal person, i.e. three squares, the biggest at dinner. He has eight to twelve -- I can't even call them meals -- protein injections a day.)

This is a paradigm shift, huge, like if Arizona started offering free health care to immigrants or something. Of all the moms who love not cooking and being served and flirting with the wait staff (male or female), I loved it the most. The more expensive and twee the dishes, the better. I  can't enjoy it anymore knowing that the cost of one meal out could feed my family for a week, two if we're having sushi. It's proof that people change!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you deserve better than Mr Big Guns. Staying in shape is one thing obsessing is as much an addiction as anything. And the beautiful machine declines over time any. Sex. Mystery. Commitment. Independence. Passion. Interests. And being a Mom. Not an easy mix but a cursory reading of your blog indicates a woman who could pull it off. Divorce sucks. You'll be stronger and happier for it. Two parts Marcus Aurelius with a side of inspiration will get you there.

    ReplyDelete