Thursday, September 17, 2009

Beauty and mysteries

This is a corner of my friend D's backyard. If I were a better photographer, you would be feeling very serene and peaceful right now. There isn't a lawn to speak of. I ripped mine out of the front yard and if I didn't have children I'd rip out my back lawn (or what's left of it) too. Lawns fall under the category of what Big Guns calls "man shit." Gutters I can do; lawns remain a mystery and mine, like my marriage, is mostly dead. It makes me sad if I think of each blade of grass as a little plant suffering out there so I wont.

Anyway, my mother and niece came over a few days ago and made us dinner -- roast chicken, asparagus risotto, mashed cauliflower and key lime tart. My mother burnt the crap out of the cauliflower. I'm telling you this because she is not getting divorced nor does she have ADD. Maybe my pans are cursed or my kitchen is being haunted by some woman who died burning dinner? Like lawns, another mystery to ponder.

1 comment:

  1. "burnt the crap out of the cauliflower" makes me smile every time

    ReplyDelete