Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sending my baby out into the world.

I'm preparing my novel for its launch into the cold, hard world. Part of that process is a one- to two-page synopsis of the whole enchilada, which I have written and re-written numerous times. It's much harder than it sounds. I worked for a couple days then released it to my writing group. We met at our usual place: Hong Sings, where the food is nearly as bad as the decor: beige walls, fluorescent lights, and the faint smell of sewer if we sit close the restrooms. When it was my turn to be critiqued, the group went silent. I could tell they were searching for something nice to say when one mentioned the nice font. I was crushed, but managed not to cry until I got to my car. I'm taking this novel to the SF Writer's Conference in two weeks in the hopes of landing an agent and my group had nothing nice to say. What a waste of $695. This is the hard part, letting your work go, which is why I've had it on my laptop, finished, for over a year. I'm prolonging the honeymoon phase.

I didn't look at their comments for two days and when I did I noticed I'd sent the wrong file, an extremely old draft, not even a draft, a stream of conscious-gibberishy piece of the dog's lunch that I hacked out long, long ago. It didn't even make sense to me. I resent the correct file and they loved it. I'm at peace again, until I start getting rejected by agents. Just see what happened to my friend, Simone. Ouch is right.

2 comments:

  1. oh my god. i'm sooooo sorry. sounds very familiar... i spent a long time in therapy today and what i learned is: don't go into the conference with expectations. yeah, right. hell yes, i want to find an agent. mostly an editor who will help me on a daily basis to make my story amazing.

    i did learn SO much at the conference. mostly that the age of big publishing houses is coming to an end. it's better and more lucrative to publish your own work. it's tricking getting the marketing going, but in the end you'll make more money.

    i HIGHLY recommend attending any lectures on ebooks and the future of publishing and tips on selling your ebook on amazon.com or other venues.

    there is always hope. you don't need an agent these days. so go into the conference knowing that tidbit.

    also, i cannot wait to read your book. if you ever want to do a trade, let me know. i basically have to start over (sort of) so i won't have anything to share for a while.

    also, i'm on strike. :)

    good luck and stay focused on where your expectations take you.

    i had to call my sponsor and 3 other women in AA to talk me off the ledge. i knew i was in trouble when a beer sounded good.

    i'm routing for you.

    i could keep typing... all night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear Simone.

    It is scary and tricky how the publishing world is changing. Now, not only do we have to be able to write and tell a story, we have to be able to sell it, too? WTF. I do have an expectation of finding an agent/partner and then editor, but I will try and let that go.

    Absolutely I'm open to swapping manuscripts. Just let me know when you're ready. Yay! That would make me very happy.

    Loving and cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete