Monday, June 27, 2011

It does get easier.

After two years I'm starting to feel unmarried. It's not something I think about all the time, I'm not angry as often, I actually can see the rest of my life without ex.

I just have to take a little moment to mention that it sort of helps that 1 out of 3 people, after I tell them I have separated, ask me if ex came out of the closet yet. Back when I was engaged and working at Gap headquarters where every man was gay, ex came to pick me up one day and my fellow gay writer pulled me aside the next day to tell me he that he hated to break the news to me, but my fiance was gay.

What does it say about me that so many people thought I'd married a gay man? I love gay men, but I didn't want to marry one. I feel sorry for his girlfriend who, now that I think about it, is slim-hipped like a boy.

I don't want to think about this anymore. I'm going to go eat a drumstick. Alert! The industrial-sized boxes are back in stock at Costco. $12.99.


 

3 comments:

  1. I actually DO want to marry a gay man, but rich and out of the closet.

    Some people stay in the closet their whole lives, even to themselves, not that I am mentioning any names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always fall for gay guys... maybe we subconsciously know they'll never be there for us... you deserve someone who will be there for you. but first and foremost, you need to be there for you. i think god is a close second... the rest is butter... or icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take butter. Thanks, Simone. Yes, Noelle, a rich, fabulous gay like Tony Duquette who made his wife all kinds of fabulous jewelry and decorated houses with her! I'd take that life, plus health insurance. But not a gay man who likes sports and cars. That wouldn't do.

    ReplyDelete