Friday, June 18, 2010

Warning: Cynical Divorcee

I read a lot of design blogs including Design Sponge and What I Wore and Verhext and Making it Lovely and inevitably somebody's getting married or featuring a wedding. Crikeys. Were weddings this big a deal 20 years ago when I got married? These crazy people are designing their dresses, embroidering their napkins and hand-stamping the toilet paper with their initials. (OK. I made the last one up but I bet the idea isn't far behind. Behind. Get it?) I can admire the beauty and details that go into this extravaganza for a minute before I start to feel really, really tired. I just, at this stage, can't imagine sinking this much time and money into a 5 to 6-hour celebration that has a 50% chance of ending up in a vitriolic, painful blog like this.

Sometimes Big Guns mentions that if he ever got married again he'd like to learn to dance. In my head I'm thinking IF I ever get married again the most I could muster would be a celebratory dinner at Denny's. The high risk of contracting a good case of food poisoning seems appropriate. (This makes me remember that several people got food poisoning at my rehearsal dinner, which wasn't at Denny's; but even if this was meant to be a sign, I didn't find out about until I was well betrothed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment