Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I could have grown a baby since the last time I posted here.

I've been busy learning these things:

1. I should never, ever, ever work in an all-female company.*

2. Patience.**

3. Boundaries are not just for countries.***

4. Even when people you love are sick and dying and something you expected to happen didn't, everything is going to be okay.****


*Separated from the pack, maybe each of the 400+ women I worked with at the makeup company (What was I thinking?!) would have been a pleasant coffee date. (If only being the busiest girl in the building wasn't one of the numerous things they were competitive about.)  Collectively, they were a pack of hyenas, suspicious and shifty-eyed. My favorite person in the building was the corporate attorney if that tells you anything.

**I'm starting my eighth year of work on my novel.

***Just say no. With love.

****Cancer sucks. And so does a certain publisher. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy you posted something new! I love love love your blog and miss reading your words. Yes - working with all women is like jumping into a tank of sharks. Patience is one of the hardest things to practice - this is why I went the self-publishing route (i.e. control freak). And yes, cancer sucks. One of my friends is going into hospice this week, another is getting her head shaved and another is in the middle of intense chemo and another is sick from their last round of chemo. It's heartbreaking. But the older I get the more people I say farewell to. Life is bittersweet. I'm just grateful to be sober and present for the people I love and somewhat tolerant of the people I don't. I do love you and I'm sending you lots of hugs. I think most publishers suck. Their world is being rocked right now. They're freaking out. Nobody works well from a place of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You beat me. I'm so sorry. Is it because we know so many women that we have such bad odds? Thank you for your words. I will self publish if this doesn't work out--I never really thought my book was right for a mass market. The subject is all wrong and people don't know what to make of the characters. And you're right about the fear thing. I've experienced the phenomenon myself lots of times. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back. Very sorry to hear cancer is affecting your life. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed you. Thanks for the kick in my blogger pants.

    ReplyDelete