Friday, June 1, 2012

Acceptable dating material

I recently went on a date during which the guy admitted he was married. I actually considered seeing him again. My therapist says that when I learn to love myself, I won't mind  being alone. I don't mind being alone, I just like having someone I can call and ask if I'm crazy.

I'm pushing 50. I know women my age become invisible to men. When I hear stories about dirty-dog men who cheated, quit their jobs to avoid paying spousal support, or gained so much weight they stopped having sex, I don't think that woman is lucky to be rid of him; I think ooh, that means he's single.

However, my list of criteria for what's acceptable dating material has expanded beyond he must have a job and his own car to include he must not be married. This is progress.

Side note: my friend C says when she first got back into the dating after getting sober, her criteria was the guy must have all his teeth.


2 comments:

  1. Teeth are important.
    You are Bold, Beautiful and Brilliant and deserve the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having all his teeth wasn't even a priority when i first started dating again. true story.

    also, who needs men? if peter ever leaves me, i'm finished with relationships. i'll be fine surrounded by boston terriers and friends in AA.

    ReplyDelete